Baicalein is one of the most abundant flavonoids in Scutellaria baicalensis. Because baicalein is mainly found in Scutellaria, hence the name. Baicalein has the functions of reducing cerebral vascular resistance, improving cerebral blood circulation, and increasing cerebral blood flow and anti-platelet aggregation. Clinically used for the treatment of paralysis after cerebrovascular disease. Baicalein is an active ingredient in the body. After entering the body of animals, baicalein is rapidly converted into baicalin and other metabolites in the blood.
Baicalein is difficult to obtain naturally. It is only found in a few plants and in tiny numbers. In addition to being found in the roots of Scutellaria, baicalein is also found in the leaves of thyme, Scutellaria, and other plants. Baicalein is more abundant and can be easily converted into baicalein once consumed. Scutellaria baicalensis leaves contain about 10 mg/g of baicalin.
Although baicalein is generally considered safe, some people should avoid it. These people include:
1. People with bleeding symptoms or those who need surgery: Baicalin has been shown to slow down the body's ability to form blood clots. Do not use baicalin for at least one week before surgery;
2. Diabetic patients: Baicalein can affect blood sugar levels;
3. People who are sensitive to hormones: studies have shown that the effect of baicalin may be similar to that of estrogen;
4. People with low blood pressure: Baicalein can lower blood pressure, which means people with low blood pressure need to be careful;
5. Pregnant and breastfeeding women: This is not based on any data, but there is insufficient data to say whether baicalein has any side effects in pregnant and breastfeeding women and, therefore, should be avoided.
Importantly, baicalein is also considered a potent inhibitor of CYP2C9, one of the most important drug-metabolizing enzymes in the human body, involved in 10% to 20% of commonly prescribed drugs. Therefore, anyone considering the idea of adding some baicalein to their cereal in the morning should discuss the idea with their doctor first.
Baicalein is a compound that has been involved for a long time in traditional Chinese medicine. Baicalein has impressive anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. We think everyone will agree that baicalein is an interesting compound with some rather interesting properties. Baicalein certainly deserves more attention, especially when it comes to Parkinson's research.